Monday, May 23, 2005

Weekend Wrap-up

This past weekend was all about golf. I was able to play on Saturday morning, get in a little practice on Sunday and watch both the Colonial and the Henrico County Open. I have not been playing or practicing much this spring and it shows in my ballstriking. I was awful off the tee but was able to hold it together with my short game. I did watch most of the Colonial and Henrico. Kenny Perry was quite impressive. In the first 70 holes, he had exactly 1 bogey and exactly 1 5 on his scorecard. This tournament showed that the old expression of ‘drive for show, putt for dough’ isn’t always correct. Perry is leading the Tour in total driving (distance and accuracy) but is not that good of a putter. When his is making putts inside 10 feet, he is one of the best in the game. His playing partner on Sunday is an even greater exception to the old rule. Mayfair may be the worse putter in the history of the Tour, but he sure can hit the ball. He averaged 15 GIR a round to finish 2nd despite having all kinds of issues with the flat stick. CBS kept showing close ups of his putting stroke. The scary thing is, his short back, pull up, top, yank is better than his old looped stroke. Good thing the man hits it solid every swing. Back to Perry, I will predict that he will be in contention at the Memorial again this year. In 2003 he won the Colonial and Memorial. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do it again.

I was quite impressed with the play on the Nationwide Tour this weekend. The Dominion Club is a course that I played every Wednesday for four years when I was in college. I never broke 70 on it. Granted I never played it in the summer when it plays a lot shorter, but these guys absolutely tore the place up. If you shot a 6 under 66 in the first round you were T18. 5 under missed the cut. Those are difficult numbers for me to come to terms with.

One last comment, Paula Creamer won the LPGA event this week. Paula is an 18 year old who qualified last year for the LPGA through their Q-School. With all the talk about Michelle Wie and other youngsters in the womens game getting sponsors exceptions, its good to see a teenager qualify for the LPGA the old fashion way. I give her lots of credit and props for getting a win at such a young age (2nd youngest ever).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home